Extracurricular activities allow our students the opportunity to engage in a variety of activities and clubs. Often these activities meet during lunch or after school hours and they are a great way to build lasting friendships among students. Extracurricular activities also help Saint Helen students gain valuable skills in time management, commitment and dedication, social skills, and self-confidence.
Our Students have the opportunity to participate in the following extracurricular activities:
i. St. Helen School Music Band and Choir Program
The program is open to all St. Helen school students from 1st through 8th grade.
It is an activity that requires self-discipline and willingness to follow directions.
All sessions are simultaneously held on location and virtually.
The Beginner Group’s session is held afterschool on Mondays 3:30-4:30PM.
The Violins Ensemble with Mr. Anthony is held after school on Tuesdays 3:30-4:30PM.
The Advanced Group is held after school on Wednesdays 3:30-4:30PM.
The Mixed Choir and Selected Band Group’s session is held after school on Thursdays 3:30-4:30PM.
- MUSIC PROGRAM’S RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Regular practice of at least 20 minutes a day is necessary for the student’s progress.
- Students are required to care for and maintain their instruments and music folders.
- Drummers are required to own a pair of drumsticks and drum brushes.
- Woodwind players are required to own a set reed preferably size #2.
- There will be three groups of students identified by a two-letter code shown below.
- Please attend only the days shown below according to your code.
- BG beginners (Mon.) AD advanced (Mon. + Wed.) CH = choir + adv. band mix (Thu.)
- The AD group membership will be decided upon student’s musical skill and appropriate behavior.
- A $____ rental fee for music instruments (depending on their value) will be asked at the school’s discretion to allow the instruments to be taken home for practice.
- Practice sessions would approximately go from 3:30 to 4:30 with extra time for set up and clean up.
- If a practice session falls on an early release day it would be rescheduled or cancelled.
- Every practice session will begin with reciting of the Music Band Student Prayer (see enclosed.)
ii. Debate club
Saint Helen students participate in the debate competition that is held yearly at Saint Helen Catholic School between 5th through 8th grade.
iii. Soccer/Basketball Team.
Saint Helen School has a strong formidable soccer and Basketball teams. It is open to Middle school students. Our Students compete yearly with other Catholic Schools in the Archdioceses of Miami.
iv. Altar Servers
Saint Helen students who received his/her First Holy Communion may be accepted as an altar server candidate. Students attend training sessions and may be asked to serve at school, parish, and other special masses.
v. Arts Club/ Arts Enrichment Classes
The Art Club in Saint Helen School is new and open to all students, from Pre-K through 8th grade. Classes are offered after school for students interested in Arts. During the winter months, students will learn about the color wheel and artists while creating.
Saint Helen’s School offered classes after school for students Interested in the arts. Classes are being offered for grades 1st – 8th grade.
During the winter months, students will learn about the color wheel and artists while Creating!
vi. Spanish Competition
Every year during the springtime there is a vocabulary contest that is being offered throughout the Archdiocese of Miami. Last year we had one participant here in Saint Helen School that entered the contest.